I think that you are advocating that since we have code that error checks on
DEBUG and not RELEASE builds we should relax the RELEASE build compiler flags?

/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/edk2-edk2-stable202305/MdeModulePkg/Core/Dxe/Hand/Handle.c:1183:24:
 error: ‘Prot’ may be used uninitialized [-Werror=maybe-uninitialized]
      ASSERT (Prot != NULL);
      //
      // EFI_ALREADY_STARTED is not an error for bus driver.
      // Return the corresponding protocol interface.
      //
      *Interface = Prot->Interface;

A given platform can add ASSERT into release builds if it wants. I’ve actually
done that for power on before. If your compiler supports LTO you are not
required to set MDEPKG_NDEBUG on RELEASE builds, and you can used a PCD to
configure your debug level, per build type.

Maybe we should just have the error checks in all paths?

Thanks,

Andrew Fish