On 2/22/24 02:49, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> (commenting once more, to explain the actual reason:)

>>> Above formula assumes the maximum HOB length could be 0xFFFF.
>>
>> Which is IMHO correct.
>
> It is not correct:
>

>>> But actually the maximum HOB length could be only 0xFFF8 because
>>> PeiCore::PeiCreateHob() contains following logic:
>>>
>>>   if (0x10000 - Length <= 0x7) {
>>>     return EFI_INVALID_PARAMETER;
>>>   }
>>
>> That Length is the *data* size, the HOB header is not included.

sorry, I meant to insert here: no; "Length" at this location does
include everything, except the padding.

The BuildGuidHob() library function takes a data length, and calculates
the total HOB length, by adding 24 bytes, for the EFI_HOB_GUID_TYPE header.

InternalPeiCreateHob() (also in "MdePkg/Library/PeiHobLib/HobLib.c")
already takes the total HOB length, and passes it on to the CreateHob()
PEI service -- which Ray quotes above.

The total HOB length cannot exceed 0xFFF8 (due to the rounding up, for
Itanium's sake), so the GUID HOB data length cannot exceed
(0xFFF8-sizeof(EFI_HOB_GUID_TYPE)).

Laszlo