> The principle might sound great but the practical thing is much worse.
> For UK for example the prefix list is about 100 prefixes. And
> furthermore you have number portability so you wont know which prefix
> really belongs where because the number might now belong to another
> carrier.

100 prefixes is not big problem. well, we can divide the actual problem into
two cases - 1 if we need to send the message back to its originator - if
this is a case I usually know where from the message came in and thus know
the smsc I need to send it back. another case is, if the destination number
is given in the message itself (send logo to my friend) - if this is a case
we don't know the operator. if I can send all messages through only one
smsc - I have no problems. but if I need to send them directly via the
receiver smsc (as is the situation I have at the moment) - I need to know to
whom the number belongs.

about number portability - which is most probably being introduced
everywhere in some next years - I believe, that if, for example, 2 operators
share the same prefix, I can send a message to either of them and I must NOT
make clear which operator services the number at the moment.

> also countries are not logical barriers. Some carriers span multiple
> countries (switzerland and liechtenstein for example in the case of

do they have the same number-room in both countries? if no - hmmz .. - if
yes - we can imagine a joint-country :)

> Swisscom). I thinnk this logic belongs into the application side, not
> into kannel as every user of Kannel probably has a different view of
> how he handles which number.

no. or yes. or both. my patch does not make anything mandatory, but gives a
possibility. this solved the problems I had, for me - and I hope - for
somebody else, too.

regards,
kaido