> Then there should be some kind of (HTTP?) frontend to SS7 that
> allows just this kind of queries. I don't think that this would
> violate privacy because it only provides the same kind of
> information one could previously get from looking at the MSISDN.

that would be ok. another way - I believe that there should be some general
solution in kannel for such cases. what would smsc respond with if somebody
is trying to send a message to a MSISDN which does not belong to this
operator? reply with something like 'invalid MSISDN' or smth. well, having
something in configuration like 'next-smsc' to provide smsc to try to send
to, if something like that should happen, could solve the problem.