On Sonntag, November 24, 2002, at 03:36 Uhr, Oded Arbel wrote:

yes but what I'm saying that is we should leave it in the character set it is.
gsm_to_latin1 is something which is not a good idea either as it is run also on binary and unicode content in the current code. In a situation where you chain multiple kannels for incoming you simply want to forward the incoming SMS "as is" without modifiying it whatsoever. indicating what encodig default means is ok but we should not in any way modifiy the data at this point. We should maybe do it in smsbox where we forward it to a webpage and indicate there which character set the webpage accepts and then convert it once. We want to avoid situations where we do

gsm character set -> latin1 -> gsm character set

as some characters would not pass this way.

That's sounds about right. if you also encode from external characater set to GSM or UCS2 in smsbox on the way in (MT), then I'm all for moving all the charset conversions to smsbox.

one point though - how will you handle drivers (like SMPP) that allow you to send specific native character encodings instead of UCS-2 when using non-GSM compatible alphabets ? send only in unicode ?

In that case the coding should indicate the specific native character set and the recoding should happen in SMSbox if indicated accordingly.

Andreas Fink
Global Networks, Inc.

Tel: +41-61-6666333 Fax: +41-61-6932729 Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Global Networks, Inc. Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Web: http://www.global-networks.ch/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the GSM Association