On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 07:44, Nikos Balkanas wrote:
> Actually nothing changes from the day before. wtls is not enabled by
> default. This submission just fixes a broken feature, doesn't
> provide a new one. The same way that providers built packages before
> (without wtls) the same way they will continue to do. They simply
> have one more option: wtls that works. More options never hurt
> anyone.

Yes. You are right. This issue is old one as can be verified on the
mail-archive from year 2002:
http://www.mail-archive.com/de...@kannel.3glab.org/msg05446.html

> Lastly I stand by my original assessment. We are fully covered by
> openssl's license. RC5 is not implemented in wtls code, but is part
> of the openssl source. There used to be strict export restrictions,
> till the Reagan years, but they have been relaxed since then (1990).
> wtls is not restricted. Users may be restricted to download openssl
> alltogether, but this is not our concern, and in that case they can
> always configure kannel without encryption (SSL or wtls).

Here is quote from the file /usr/share/doc/openssl/README.Debian (Debian
distro, of course) regarding issue:
PATENT ISSUES
-------------

Some algorithms used in the library are covered by patents.  As
a result, the following algorithms in libcrypto have been disabled:
- RC5
- MDC2
- IDEA

Also see the patents section in the README file.

README which comes with openssl says something similar.
PATENTS
 -------

 Various companies hold various patents for various algorithms in various
 locations around the world. _YOU_ are responsible for ensuring that your use
 of any algorithms is legal by checking if there are any patents in your
 country.  The file contains some of the patents that we know about or are
 rumored to exist. This is not a definitive list.

 RSA Security holds software patents on the RC5 algorithm.  If you
 intend to use this cipher, you must contact RSA Security for
 licensing conditions. Their web page is http://www.rsasecurity.com/.

 RC4 is a trademark of RSA Security, so use of this label should perhaps
 only be used with RSA Security's permission.

 The IDEA algorithm is patented by Ascom in Austria, France, Germany, Italy,
 Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the USA. They
 should be contacted if that algorithm is to be used; their web page is
 http://www.ascom.ch/.

 NTT and Mitsubishi have patents and pending patents on the Camellia
 algorithm, but allow use at no charge without requiring an explicit
 licensing agreement: http://info.isl.ntt.co.jp/crypt/eng/info/chiteki.html

So, I believe that the legal teams of various free operating system
distributors have considered all issues about that and decided that is
not safe to enable patented algorithms despite the fact that the
implementation in openssl is licensed for free.

After all, Kannel as it is now, is safe because distributors will not
enable WTLS (I presume) and users who need WTLS have to compile openssl
and kannel from the source, what is good practice anyway (but we can
expect a lot of questions from novices in the lists).

Maybe something about that should go in the FAQ.

I don't want to tell that the Kannel should be changed. It is perfectly
fine in the current state in regard with RC5 and WTLS, IMHO.

> Quoting from netsnmp
> (http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/Crypto_Export_Restrictions):
>
> "Our cryptography software portions (AES and DES) actually come from
> OpenSSL and are not implemented internally. Additionally, back when
> export restrictions were relaxed for open source software, all that
> is required for an open source package thats provides releases on a
> web site is to send proper notification to the US export office
> (which we did), but the export office does not respond to such
> queries (they only log it).
>
> It's up to manufactures of devices and software that intend to sell
> their devices over-seas to go through proper paperwork for the
> device that includes open source software. IE, nothing we could give
> you would satisfy your own requirements. We strongly suggest you
> consult with an export control lawyer as this community is not a
> legal service that you can count on."
>
> This apparently is not specific to rc5, but includes all linking to
> openssl libraries, including kannel's https implementation.

Not realy. In https RC5 is not "prefered" encryption algorithm like in
WTLS.