I got the CaFe NAND FLASH driver and jffs2 reader integrated into Open Firmware.

OFW mounted the jffs2 filesystem (the build 91 image, with summary nodes) and loaded /boot/vmlinuz in just under 6 seconds.

That's using DMA access to the CaFe NAND controller. Programmed I/O takes about twice as long.

OFW doesn't have support for writing individual files to jffs2, but it can copy verbatim filesystem images onto the NAND FLASH.. That's how I got jffs2 onto the FLASH; I copied the distribution image to an ordinary file on a USB key (right out of the box, with the factory FAT filesystem), and told OFW to splat that file onto the NAND FLASH. The NAND copy methods knows about the factory bad block list and skip around the bad ones.

The JFFS2 file system reader code adds approximate 3400 bytes to OFW's ROM footprint. It supports node processing both with and without summaries, file reading with zlib decompression as necessary, path processing, symlinks, and directory listing.

The zlib decompressor size is not included in that footprint size, because it is already present in OFW for other reasons.

The CaFe NAND driver's ROM footprint is 1800 bytes.