Hi Nicolas,

I'm embarrassed to admit that before I sent my mail I carefully read over
... the old PackageDrafts/Go :-( My only excuse is that it was in my
browser history.

Having actually read the relevant parts of "More Go Packaging", the
explanation of compat packages and notification procedures does make the
intended operation clearer, though the social and technical barrier to a
packager new to Fedora will still be high if packaging their target package
requires creating a compat package and fixing multiple other packages. As
you say, once Fedora packaging catches up to the modern state, things will
be better, because the onus won't be on the new packager to do the  work of
updating old libraries.

I still worry that Fedora is not big enough to move the status-quo in the
Go world - to get the point where Go programs require github.com/foo/bar >=
1.2.3 and actually have been tested with a multiple versions in that range,
not exactly the one vendored version shipped with the program. Sp we might
end up with lots of Fedora-specific bugs that the upstream doesn't care
about. But if the Fedora Go community can get some size and momentum and
start pushing fixes upstream, that will certainly be a positive force for
reducing Go programs stuck on random old versions of dependencies!

I haven't had time to read through the entire proposal, but it certainly
looks like a major step forward!

Owen