On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 8:26 PM Brendan Conoboy <b...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/16/18 7:50 AM, Paul Frields wrote:
> [snip]
> > We should skip the F31 release cycle and leave F30 in place longer in
> > order to focus on improving the tooling and testing changes. These
> > tooling changes will improve the overall reliability of Fedora, and
> > will decrease the manual effort and complexities involved in producing
> > the distribution artifacts. Although we’ve done this before to make
> > “editions” happen, the intent is to track this multi-team effort more
> > actively so we can (1) use the time as well as possible, and (2) give
> > the work maximum transparency.
>
> If there is going to be a pause F30 seems like a good place to do it:
> New glibc, new compiler- and a full year for them to mature.  It's a
> nice basis for a stable platform.  What would the update policy be for
> this year- same as today?  It seems like you're proposing this as a
> one-time event to pay down technical debt, which is great, but would
> you perhaps consider doing the same thing for F31, F32, etc?  The
> basic reasons for technical debt will continue- why not plan to
> service the debt regularly?

Long cycles have been done before, and will be done again, it has been
4 or 5 years since the last one. I think skipping to a yearly cadence
for every release isn't such a great idea. There are benefits to the
cadence we have, but I do think perhaps a plan to regularly do this
might be a good thing. Just as a ballpark, perhaps once every 5
releases.   This would allow people to actually plan the big workloads
for this timeframe.  F30 is a 1 year, the next is F35. Once F31 is
done, I can start planning the big project for F36.  Of course it
could also be argued that we only do a long release when needed, but
this doesn't really allow us to plan as well, and doesn't set
expectations for the community in the same way.

Justin