On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 09:27:29PM +0200, Tim Jackson wrote:
> On 30/09/2019 21:02, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 14:54, Tim Jackson <li...@timj.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Where is the canonical source these days for establishing package
> > > (co-)ownership, in particular in relation to individual branches?
>
> > branch ownership died 2-3 years ago. a replacement was asked to be
> > looked at but has been side-lined for so long.. I think we can call it
> > dead.
>
> OK, thanks for the quick reply. I guess it was something to do with this?
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Factory2/Focus/ArbitraryBranching
>
> So, these days, if - for example - I take and build a package in EPEL,
> intending to maintain it only there (potentially only in one branch there),
> there's no possible way in the future for anyone to (programmatically)
> identify me as the "EPEL-x branch owner"?.

There is work planned to be able to show in the UI of src.fedoraproject.org the
point of contact for the Fedora and the Fedora EPEL components as they would
appear in bugzilla.
This is not a per-branch identification but it would be consistent with the
level of granularity we have with bugzilla.

> Similarly, bug reports on all branches go to all maintainers? (It seems
> co-maintainers possibly get cc'd). (If it's still valid, this perhaps is a
> manual way to change:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/WhatHappenedToPkgdb#How_do_I_become_the_default_assignee_of_a_branch_in_bugzilla.3F
> )

That should be correct, though currently the script that syncs from dist-git to
bugzilla is running into a number of issues so it may not entirely work as
intended. It's in our backlog.

> Is the current state documented anywhere? (is it roughly this?
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/WhatHappenedToPkgdb )
>
> Is the (known) lack of branch ownership documented in a bug anywhere? I
> didn't find anything in the FESco issue list, open or closed.

It was a conscious decision and in that sense is not a bug.

> I guess we lost the metadata (e.g. branch ownership) that already existed
> along the way?

I believe we still have a dump of the pkgdb database from when we decommissioned
it but at this point (2 years later now?) I doubt we want to get back to it.

> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/nagios
> > click on members
> > the people who are listed there are the comaintainers though I expect
> > several of them have completely forgotten or know it anymore :).
>
> Hmm, OK, "members" is perhaps not the term I would have chosen, but I guess
> it answers the question. Are all co-maintainers, or are "admins"
> co-maintainers and "committers" other interested parties who've been granted
> commit access?

Committers have commit access
Admins have commit access and can administer the settings of the project.
Both of them are co-maintainer since they can commit.

Hoping this helps,
Pierre