On 10/2/19 8:33 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 05:31:56PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
○ Every changes to dist-git is done via pull-requests
Erm, no thank you.  Pull requests are a terrible workflow.

It's definitely the winning workflow in the open source world today,
particularly for smaller and drive-by contributions, which I think we'd
like to encourage.

It's an awesome workflow for those cases. Not so much when you are the maintainer of said piece.

And there _are_ real tracking and review benefits to
having everything go through that workflow.

Speaking out of experience from another project going all pull-requests: Yes, there are benefits. I do like somebody elses (faster) computer running the test-suite. In dist-git the "does it even build" would be an awesome gate to have at the push stage, deity knows I've done my share of "oops, ..." commits there that wouldn't exist if there was a gate.

My issue with all this is that the pull-request workflow (speaking generally) as we know it introduces a significant overhead to the maintainer even for the simplest changes. As a developer, I want to just push the damn thing already and be done with it. Instead the pull-request model is like a ship-in-a-bottle workflow where you first do the work preliminary locally and then push it someplace remote to fiddle it into it's place with cumbersome remote controls. And then spend even more time tidying up over leftover branches here and there, updating your local copy to what you just did and other tedious administrativia.

If the maintainer overhead could be eliminated (via automation) it would be awesome. As it is, most of the time it absolutely does not feel worth it.

        - Panu -