On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 1:35 AM Ralf Corsepius <rc040...@freenet.de> wrote:

> On 10/8/19 8:03 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> Python

> Ralf but

> easily

> for a
> idea that
> >
> > Those are fairly substantial changes, but time is of essence here.
> I could not disagree more. Quality and stability is of more essence, here.

Very few of us (packagers) are computer scientists or the like or paid like
RHEL to evaluate every possible problem that could arise with adopting new
releases of software. Nor can we all be expected to backport fixes in every
case. If you want that, run RHEL/CentOS instead. In the case of Coin4 is
addresses a REAL issue with FreeCAD and Coin3. I built test packages of the
whole stack and even went so far as to create a COPR to test the result and
moving to Coin4 does indeed fix the problem with importing SVG images as
geometry.

So what do you suggest I do instead? Fedora tends to run the latest
versions of packages on purpose.

> I reviewed all three PRs, and they look fine. (One needs a rebase).
> > I think you should just push and build all packages.
>
> You don't want to know what I think of this.

I knew you probably wouldn't like the changes which is why I bent over
backwards to be nice about it including submitting pull requests and
communicating with you over email.

I even implemented the alternatives for Coin4 that you have on Coin2/3 just
so they would be compatible instead of just conflicting with Coin2 (which
is a leaf package in Fedora and Coin3 which will be a leaf package after
moving the dependencies over).

I appreciate all the work you did maintaining the Coin3D stack over the
years in Fedora but at the end of the day we are package maintainers not
owners, a clarification that was referenced a few years ago.

Unfortunately I had to resort to posting here on the mailing list to
provoke a response because 3 emails and almost a month later you couldn't
even reply just to say "I'm really busy but I will review your changes."

So again I ask, what was I supposed to do? Ignore a REAL issue because you
don't like people touching your packages? Wait indefinitely?

How long would you wait if you were in my position? What should I have done
differently?

FreeCAD has been in a terrible state in Fedora for years and after a crap
ton of work with getting PySIde2 into Fedora, updating the Coin stack I
would like to be able to ship FUNCTIONAL packages.

Thanks,
Richard