On Thu, 2019-10-17 at 09:32 -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:59:19 AM MST Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> > The one thing we are using default modular stream in RHEL 8 for is to be
> > able to provide access to packages in kickstart that were moved to
> > modules in RHEL 8. An example is idm:client stream which is a default
> > module stream in RHEL 8 exactly for this reason, to be able to install
> > ipa-client package and enroll a system into IPA from a kickstart file.
> >
> > We don't package FreeIPA in modules in Fedora yet but this is one of
> > real examples how default module streams are helpful to maintain
> > coherent user experience for existing users of kickstart files.
> >
> > --
> > / Alexander Bokovoy
> > Sr. Principal Software Engineer
> > Security / Identity Management Engineering
> > Red Hat Limited, Finland
>
> You could install the ipa-client package and enroll a system into IPA from a
> kickstart in RHEL 7 too.. Without modules. That's what I've deployed for the
> environments I support, for example. Using a module is not required there.

That wasn't the point, though - the point was the answer the question
"why do we need *default* module streams?"

The logic is this: FreeIPA maintainers wanted FreeIPA to be a module in
RHEL, to take advantage of the added flexibility around lifecycles and
version bumps (basically so each RHEL release isn't tied to one version
of FreeIPA forever). But if it's modularized and there's no concept of
'default stream modules', this is a thing that breaks: you can't
install it from a kickstart. So, *given that* we wanted to modularize
FreeIPA in RHEL *and* we also want to still make it deployable via
kickstart, that creates a requirement for default stream modules or
something a lot like it.

Of course if you just don't modularize FreeIPA at all you don't have
the kickstart problem, but then you *do* still have the 'we're stuck
shipping this one version of FreeIPA for the next seventy jillion
years' problem.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey