Richard Shaw <hobbes1...@gmail.com> writes:

> Not replying to anyone in particular but to the thead as a whole...
>
> 1. Nothing in the packager introduction process prepares a packager
> for what to do when they get a CVE filed against one of their
> packages. I found the whole ordeal rather stressful.

Agreed, this would be good to spell out.

> 4. I'm not a C/C++ programmer

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is being a C/C++ programmer
relevant to fixing security bugs?  Are you packaging programs in a
language you don't speak?

From
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Package_maintainer_responsibilities/#_deal_with_reported_bugs_in_a_timely_manner
 :

    It is recommended that non-coder packagers should find
    co-maintainers who are familiar with the programming language used
    by their package(s)

> and certainly not a security expert. If I can find a link to a fix for
> another distro, such as debian, I'll apply it but more often than not
> there's nothing there when I look. I'll even file an issue upstream
> but most of the time it's ignored.

This isn't a good sign for the health of your upstreams.

> 5. A of times it's for an EPEL package that's much older than the
> current release so the fix for Fedora can't be easily applied to EPEL.

This is why it's recommended to have someone on packaging who speaks the
language you're using.

Thanks,
--Robbie