On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:44 PM Kaleb Keithley <kkeit...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Your spec file is a complete mess, so I have not yet touched it to fix it.
>

> Not _my_ spec file. Is this another episode of whinging about %ifdef SUSE,
> then I suggest you direct your comments at
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/ceph.spec.in.  I'm sure they will
> appreciate your usual candor.
>
> Because I'm sure what everyone wants is to maintain two files that are 99%
> the same. Especially when there are conditionals.

Hardly. I maintain plenty of triple-distro (RH/Fedora, SUSE, and
Debian/Ubuntu) spec files of more complex software that are cleaner
than Ceph's.

The mess is because the Ceph spec file is tremendously regressive
compared to current standards for RH/Fedora and SUSE packaging. It
doesn't even have the minor fixes I made upstream to the spec for
libexecdir stuff.

>> Here's an example of how I fixed one package:
>> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/allegro5/c/2a59aa1daea345823b81c9b396f5766cba54da78
>

> That might actually be helpful.
>
> More constructive comments. Less snark.

I *was* going to fix it at some point, but having to parse a complex
spec file takes time and effort. And I *really* doubt anyone has
seriously analyzed that spec file in recent years.

Even *I* haven't completed my *own* analysis of it for rewriting it
for my personal use, since there's far too much cruft in the current
spec for me to be comfortable with me using for personal builds.