On Tuesday, 8 September 2020 17:28:20 CEST Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefaultForPlasma
>
> == Summary ==
> Change the default session selection in SDDM to prefer the
> Wayland-based KDE Plasma Desktop session over the X11-based one.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:Ngompa|Neal Gompa]], [[User:Rdieter|Rex Dieter]],
> [[User:Jgrulich|Jan Grulich]]
> * Email: ngomp...@gmail.com, rdie...@gmail.com, jgrul...@redhat.com
> * Product: KDE Spin
> * Responsible WG: KDE SIG
>

> == Detailed Description ==
>
> With KDE Plasma 5.20, the KDE Plasma desktop environment has reached a
> point where nearly all commonly used features in the desktop and all
> major applications function in the Plasma Wayland environment on all
> major GPUs (including NVIDIA with the proprietary driver). Starting
> with Plasma 5.20 in Fedora 34, we will change the default
> configuration for Wayland and X11 Plasma sessions so that Wayland is
> preferred and used by default, while permitting the X11 session to be
> selected as the alternative desktop environment option.
>
> == Feedback ==
>
> ==== Is Wayland ready? ====
> Wayland has been used by default for Fedora Workstation (which uses
> GNOME) since Fedora 25. And while it was somewhat immature initially,
> today it is a very rock-solid experience on virtually everything
> Fedora Workstation runs on. The change in Fedora 25 kickstarted the
> drive to get everything working on Wayland, and the Workstation team
> succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Firefox has been Wayland-native
> by default since Fedora 31 as well.
>
> On the KDE side, serious work into supporting Wayland started shortly
> after GNOME switched to Wayland by default. Unlike GNOME, KDE has a
> much broader stack in its toolkit, and it has taken longer to get to a
> usable state. With the Plasma 5.20 release, the Wayland protocol for
> screencasting as well as middle-click paste finally are supported,
> completing the required feature set for switching to Wayland by
> default.
>
> ==== What about NVIDIA? ====
> Plasma, in fact, ''does'' support NVIDIA GPUs with the proprietary
> driver on Wayland. It needs to be manually activated, which will be
> taken care of by the <code>kwin-wayland-nvidia</code> package. So the
> expectation is that all major GPUs will work just fine.
>
> ==== Why not keep using X11? ====
> The fact of the matter is, Xorg is in
> [https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2019/06/24/on-the-road-to-fedora-workstation
> -31/
 "hard maintenance mode"] per [[User:Uraeus|Christian Schaller]] and
> [...]
> <code>kwin-x11</code> subpackage.
> *** Make {{package|kwin}} require <code>kwin-wayland</code> and
> recommend <code>kwin-x11</code>
> *** Add <code>kwin-wayland-nvidia</code> subpackage which contains
> <code>/usr/lib/environment.d/10-kwin-wayland-nvidia.conf</code> to set
> will have have a Supplements dependency <code>(kwin-wayland and
> kmod-nvidia)</code>.
> ** Modify {{package|plasma-workspace}} to switch to Wayland
> *** Rename <code>/usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop</code> to
> <code>/usr/share/xsessions/plasma-xorg.desktop</code>, subpackage it
> out as <code>plasma-workspace-xorg</code>, and have it require
> <code>kwin-x11</code>
> *** Rename <code>/usr/share/wayland-sessions/plasmawayland.desktop</code>
> to <code>/usr/share/wayland-sessions/plasma.desktop</code>
> *** Make {{package|plasma-workspace}} require
> <code>plasma-workspace-wayland</code> and recommend
> <code>plasma-workspace-xorg</code>
> ** Modify <code>@kde-desktop</code> comps group for Fedora 34 to
> include <code>plasma-workspace-xorg</code> for the media.
>
> * Other developers: N/A (not applicable for this Change)
> * Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9741 #9741]
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> * Alignment with Objectives: N/A (not applicable for this Change)
>
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> Systems using certain (very old) graphics hardware or graphics drivers
> (matrox, etc.) may have problems running the Wayland session. In these
> (rare) cases, users may have to configure SDDM to use X11.
>
> == How To Test ==
> Log into a KDE Plasma desktop. Do any activity you would normally do
> in your daily desktop use: launching applications, configuring
> displays, etc. Things should work the same way under Wayland as they
> used to under X.
>
> == User Experience ==
> The user experience should not change noticeably.
>
> == Dependencies ==
> This mainly affects the {{package|plasma-workspace}} and
> {{package|kwin}} packages, and details for the changes for those
> packages are described in the Scope section.
>
> == Contingency Plan ==
> * Contingency mechanism: Revert the file renames and switch
> <code>plasma-workspace-xorg</code> to be the required package instead
> of <code>plasma-workspace-wayland</code>
> * Contingency deadline: beta freeze
> * Blocks release? Yes
> * Blocks product? KDE Spin
>
> == Documentation ==
> Some upstream documents about Wayland
> * https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland
> * https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland
>
> There is currently no coherent up to date documentation about Plasma
> Wayland.

> == Release Notes ==
> The KDE Plasma Desktop is using the Wayland display system now. X
> applications will continue to run transparently through XWayland.

Please no, KWin Wayland makes my system crash as soon as I connect my second
screen, and does not support essential functions like Kwin scripting, make
Yakuake look terrible and the whole stuff feels buggy as hell.
Every time I used it thes past years, it felt buggy and in an unfinished
state, it was like being the tester of an alpha version.