On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 12:21, Pavel Raiskup <prais...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 5:06:59 PM CEST Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 03:16, Pavel Raiskup <prais...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The KMail app stopped working for me today, and I realized there's
> > > update to which I'd like to give a try:
> > >
> > >   https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-15d324f87c
> > >
> > > In Bodhi, the suggested command to test this update is:
> > >
> > >   sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo=updates-testing
> > > --advisory=FEDORA-2020-15d324f87c
> > >
> > > But that doesn't work because the mirrored updates-testing is not
> > > yet updated.  And downloading all the builds manually from Koji
> > > is just too much work ATM.
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to enhance Bodhi so it provides the repositories
> > > somewhere in the meantime, before composes are ready?
> > > This is not the first time I'd found this feature very convenient.
> > >

> > A couple of things. Bodhi doesn't make composes and doesn't directly
> > provide anything, so it would need to be some other tool which built and
> > provided the mini-compose. This tool would need extra hardware and disk
> > space as we aren't budgeted for this and will not see more disk space to
> > our current infrastructure til probably 2022.
> >
> > Second, the Bodhi team was a temporary group to get a bodhi feature set
> > over the line at a certain point in time. Those people are now assigned
> > other projects to get container builds, flatpaks, replacing our 12 year
> old
> > account system, and other items into place. When those items are
> completed
> > those people will be assigned to fixing whatever other new tool is needed
> > to get things done.
> >
> > If people want this, there is going to need to be a project request with
> > detailed explanation, project scope, budget idea, what it will fix and
> > various ways to weigh it against other projects, etc. I am guessing this
> > would need to go to the council to work out if it is a higher need than
> > some other items they expect CPE to work on.
>
> Ok, ok..   I fear it is out of scope for me to drive this.  Just saying
> what I'd found useful (and I probably filled the RFE against a wrong
> component.
> Sorry).

I'm fine with the 'bodhi' client auto-download and the custom script
> for now ...  In future I'll try to submit a PR against bodhi client, or dnf
> plugins, I don't know ... and move the logic there.

The issue is that what is needed is a better end to end definition of what
the build system needs to be, and how to make it so versus a lot of
requests where people come in with different things and we cram one more
feral cat into the bag to make it work. I know that Kevin has tried to get
a couple initiatives together overtime but not a lot of takers since it is
mostly politics of horsetrading.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.