Am 01.11.2015 um 18:50 schrieb Colomban Wendling:
Also, IMO a replacement/large improvement should include the following
in the end:

1. Seamless integration (all features in all splits)
2. (keep) support for multiple views of the same document
3. multiple (arbitrary) splits

Point 1 is obvly the main goal of everyone who ever tried to improve the
situation.

Point 2 would IMO be important, especially to avoid changes in some
views when another changes (i.e. if I want to display document A in view
V, and I already have it in view W, I don't want view W to stop
displaying it).
On this point I'm on disagreement with others, who are happy with the
idea that documents are dispatched on the various areas, rather than
areas are views for documents; so your opinion might vary.  I also won't
strongly oppose either way, as again I probably wouldn't make much use
of the feature myself.

Yea, I have no use for 2). And it would require many more changes inside Geany than the plain "two (or more) editor notebooks". Just think about what happens to document->editor->sci pointer when there are two scis (this pointer is also heavily used by plugins).

But my approach was to implement the plain splitwindow via multiple editor notebooks inside Geany, and then modify the splitwindow plugin to just offer the cloned view of one document, so there's no regression for that use case. I hope that pleases you.

Best regards.