On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Greg Smith (gregmsmi) wrote:

> Which teachers or schools have been asking for printing support? If we
> can add some documentation on that to the Wiki it will help a lot.

for some schools (like Birmingham, Alabama) they won't ask for printing
support becous ethey won't imagine a computer system being setup that
doesn't include it.

> It makes sense that schools would want printing and CUPS is a robust
> tool in my experience.

CUPS may be robust, but it may al ba sledgehammer being used to swat a fly
(see my other e-mail on the subject for more of my thoughts on the matter)

> Real world user cases will help determine how much effort is needed on
> the configuration/moderation fronts. They can also help validate if
> copying files to a USB drive is a viable alternative.

it would be better to force kids to use the journal and drag documents to
the server (or to the printer) and have them copied to the server and then
use something on the server to print the document than it would be to
force sneakernet to be used for printing

David Lang