On Jan 14, 2008 4:10 PM, Asheesh Laroia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm happy to announce a beta release of the Creative Commons licensing
> activity for the XO.
>
> This activity is a comic reader that includes simple English text to
> explain the images.  This is based on a comic we published a few weeks
> back that was written with the XO audience in mind:
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Sharing_Creative_Works

A good idea, though rather pedestrian in execution. I would have found
it more interesting if you had created a character who created
something and wanted to publish it, but had no idea of the
considerations, and who then had a conversation with somebody
knowledgeable. Better still if some characters had done various things
with unexpected consequences, and got together to discuss what to do.
Then they could go on to talk to other creators and publishers about
the possibilities and benefits, not only to the publisher and to
others in the developed world, but to those in the developing nations.

I am disappointed that there is no mention of CC-Developing Nations licenses.

> It also includes a license chooser; right now, the results of that license
> choice aren't used by anything, but we hope to work with XO developers who
> want to integrate CC license choosing into their activities - they can
> perhaps use the license chooser we bundle, and they can perhaps use as a
> default the license chosen by the child at the end of the CC Licensing
> activity.
>
> You can download the .xo at
> http://labs.creativecommons.org/~paulproteus/olpc/License-3.xo .  It even
> has a proper NEWS file.
>
> I encourage you all to grab the .xo and give it a whirl!
>
> -- Asheesh.
>
> P.S. If you want to know how this compares to the release a few weeks ago,
> here's the NEWS file:
>
> 3
>
> * Fix .xo packaging and MANIFEST to include everything necessary and not
> more. (paulproteus)
> * First beta release. (paulproteus)
> * Hand-clean text for comic. (paulproteus)
>
> --
> Where do I find the time for not reading so many books?
>                -- Karl Kraus

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/