>> How do I get the new one ?
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update#Workaround:_updating_olpc-update

Thank you.  The last time I followed the directions on that wiki
page was some ten days ago.  I did not realize that the builds I
have installed since then were overriding what my manual upgrade of
'olpc-update' had put in.

In comparing the versions (from the wiki page, and from several
builds), I now realize that I was confused by 'olpc-update
--version' giving an error message in both cases: if the message was
"no such option" then it was from the older version;  if the message
was "build number required" then it was from the new version.

Thank you, ffm and scott, for clarifying.

mikus