If you can still boot and get to the console, you should be able to
both configure your network and do an update.

Are you familiar with the iwconfig command?
It is in /sbin

olpc-update lives in the /usr/sbin directory, which should be in your
path on the root shell on the console. But if not, just use the full
pathnames.

/sbin/iwconfig eth0 essid [your AP name]

/usr/sbin/olpc-update 656

-walter

--
Walter Bender