On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, James Cameron wrote:

> While you don't think it is version specific, knowing what versions you
> have seen it on would be valuable problem data.

unfortunantly I haven't been keeping track. I know I've seen it on build
650, the recent RC, on joyride 1700. but I know I've also seen it on many
other joyride builds as well, I haven't always upgraded both machines so
some of the times have been with different builds on the two machines.

basicly it's the exception when both machines see each other in the
Neighborhood rather then the rule

> By "see the other" you mean that the Neighborhood View doesn't show an
> XO icon for the other XO?

correct

> Are these XOs "friends"?

with tests between the two XOs that I own the useually have been, but in
the few cases where I've had other XO laptops nearby I've had the same
problems.

at SCALE the olpc bof ended up well away from all other people and the
large concentration of access points (it wasn't an empty RF envrionment,
but it wasn't the meltdown that was at the other end of the hotel either.
it was quiet enough for me to suceed in connecting to the next hotel down
the street) and we had 5 XO's in the room but it took us 45 min of trying
before we were able to get any two to see each other at the same time.

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 09:31:02PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> At SCALE I was seeing systems that showed up as XO laptops, but later
>> spoke to the people who's names showed up and they don't have XO's (in one
>> case I found the only machine the person had was a MAC)
>
> Yes, MacBooks and Pidgin show up as XO icons, I think it is because they
> announce over Bonjour / Zeroconf.

Ok, that has been confusing at times.

>> any suggestions on where to start/
>
> Exclude packet loss.

I've run into this same problem in every location that I've tried it. when
operating on a few of the networks I know that neither machine has had any
problems connecting to the outside world or to other local systems. while
this doesn't completely rule out packet loss, it makes it pretty unlikly.

David Lang