FYI -- don't intend to do anything about it -- just letting you know
I had a strange experience.

I keep both a Joyride build and an Update.1 build on my G1G1;  I
switch between them with the 'O' button at boot.  Today I used
'olpc-update' (from Joyride) to install the latest Update.1, then
used 'olpc-update' (from Update.1) to install the latest Joyride.

I normally apply various customizations in /etc and in /usr (e.g.,
to disable frame "auto-raise", and to preset some environmental
variables).  The way I remember it, having booted this latest
Joyride build I manually edited-in my changes.  But then when I
booted the latest Update.1 build, I found the /etc and /usr changes
already made.

It might be Alzheimer's that is making me forget applying my changes
twice.  But I am left with the question:  "how come my edits showed
up with both builds, when I remember making my edits only once ?"

mikus