Tomeu,

As I've mentioned before, I'm working on an EText reading activity that uses
metadata to save the current page number when the activity closes, kind of like
a bookmark.  When the activity is resumed the saved page number would be shown.
 This works just fine while the XO is turned on, but the page number metadata
disappears when you reboot or turn the machine off and on.  I'm using the same
code that the Read activity does for this purpose, and I notice that Read has
exactly the same problem.  This is frustrating.  The journal entry shows a
screenshot of the page I left off on, but I don't go back to that page on
opening.

I have also noticed that if I open the document from a USB card or an SD card
no metadata is saved at all.

I had been assuming that this was a bug in Sugar that would be fixed at some
point.  Your text below makes it sound like this is an actual deliberate
feature.  Am I understanding this correctly?

James Simmons

 I also went through a number of activity sources in git looking for
>  examples, but I didn't find one that ONLY used metadata. They all seem
>  to either not bother storing any UI state (so resuming or from new
>  makes no difference), or they save actual files.

I think at some point activities like those realize that they have
some data that would be better saved in a file.

But the determining reason would be that metadata properties other
than the custom ones are not preserved across reboots :/