Some ideas:

a) Google and other intense information providers have set up their
servers to refuse "too many" requests from the same user in a short
period of time.
b) "filtering" (nat or caching software) will be a tool to do the same
not only with http but with all the TCP/IP protocols.
c) If a pair of XOs turn down an AP... it is an "internal" DOS.  But, in
my humble opinion, I wont call it a DOS because there is no intentional
attack to the server.

Regards,

Javier