Denver Gingerich wrote:

> Has any work been done on removing the dependency on Fedora Core for
> kernel building?  Can someone provide a brief list of the reasons for
> this dependency so that those interested in fixing it can do so?

Michael stone pointed me at the kernels existing 'make binrpm-pkg' one
evening and using the olpc config file I used this to create an rpm on a
debian ubuntu system without any of the Fedora stuff.

This kernel booted fine and ran fine.  The problems I had were in the
modules. I was not able to get the depmod to quit whining but later
conversations with mstone showed that I was probably not running the
right depmod command.  My testing only needed stuff that was static so I
didn't care at the time.

> without RPM.  Being able to build the kernel binary seems to be
> sufficient for most development purposes as a developer could just add
> the new binary to /boot and update the /boot/vmlinuz symlink or update
> olpc.fth.

/boot is not really /boot . :)  /boot is really
'/versions/boot/current/boot'. you must put your kernel there or it
won't be used.

--
Richard Smith  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
One Laptop Per Child