On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Mitch Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Suppose, as a thought experiment, that someone were to propose giving
>  every child in the world
>  a device that could do nothing but access the web.  Would you consider
>  that a positive
>  educational step?

It would be positive, but limited. Once you are reaching out to them,

 (a) You can give them that device with extra puzzles and tools

 (b) You have the certainty that you'll be seeding a degree of
cargo-cultism. Should the magic device be branded with corporate
logos? Should we use that sense of magic and turn it towards tinkering
and discovery that we can promote with a FOSS stack?

It is a significant responsibility.  I would be uncomfortable with the
XO showing _any_ corporative logos, be it MS, Adobe, RH, etc.

cheers,

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions