On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Ivan Krstić
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2008, at 5:25 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>

> > Who says Negroponte is shifting? Certainly not Walter in any of his
> > public posts. Can't happen. We would all be out of here like a shot to
> fork Sugar. Nicholas is weird, but not utterly stupid.
>

>  "Eventually, Negroponte added, Windows might be the sole operating system
> ... Negroponte said he was mainly concerned with putting as many laptops as
> possible in children's hands."

OK, Ivan, I take it all back. "Men of one idea, like a hen with one
chick, and that a duckling."--Thoreau

I noticed before that Nicholas is overoptimizing on one single
variable (Number of computers delivered to children soonest) and not
looking at any of the other variables that affect how many computers
of what kind get to the most children in the long run. I didn't know
that it was this bad.

Who is organizing the fork? I assume that Red Hat will still be in. Or
do people want to wait until it's officially official?

>  -- via Associated Press
>  <http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hXa0O9XLMsWfaqt-sI9FqFy2IewgD9073PPG0>
>
>  --
>  Ivan Krstić <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://radian.org

He lamented that an overriding insistence on open-source had hampered
the XOs, saying Sugar "grew amorphously" and "didn't have a software
architect who did it in a crisp way." For instance, the laptops do not
support Flash animation, widely used on the Web.

"There are several examples like that, that we have to address without
worrying about the fundamentalism in some of the open-source
community," he said. "One can be an open-source advocate without being
an open-source fundamentalist."

Besides rethinking the laptop's technology, Negroponte wants to get
OLPC moving more efficiently. An executive-search firm has been
looking for a chief executive for the group for more than a year.

:This is ridiculous in a dozen different ways. For one, the XO
hardware and software is the most productive product development
project I have ever seen. For another, when you can't find a CEO in
more than a year of searching, that should tell you something about
yourself.

I think the rest of us should go talk to Mark Shuttleworth. And Mary
Lou, of course.
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/