Note I understand that metacity can be configured to use a dbus/gconf
version, rather than bringing in the dread CORBA/bonobo dependencies
we've worked so hard to avoid.  So don't let ldd mislead you that it
isn't worth a try; it is.

So Metacity is clearly one of the contenders.  This wasn't an option
when Sugar was started, though with 20-20 hindsight, we probably should
have used something other than matchbox from the beginning.
                                - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child