Now that I have ds_backup that does backup something (thanks Tomeu for
the script to grow the ds), I am looking at doing it correctly.

I've published what I have at
git://dev.laptop.org/users/martin/ds-backup.git , visible at
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/martin/ds-backup.git;a=summary

(For some reason it's not listed in the gitweb main page. Go figure.)

Now, what I would like to get a bit of help with is the following:

 - Add a "dump all metadata to a file" mechanism in
datastore/xapianindex.py that is fast. It could be one file per
document, that wouldn't bother me in the least. As long as the
resulting format is a JSON dump of a reasonable datastructure, I'm a
happy camper.

 - Sort out the story with pause()/unpause(). The functions in
datastore.py are meant to "support backup", but I think they are
broken. Reading through the implementation, they call stop() on the
backends, which in the case of Xapian, means that the datastore is
dead in the water while paused, and normal usage will fail.

cheers,

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions