There was a thread about the X driver here:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/006565.html

Because there were much more pressing things to do than rewriting the X
driver by Bernardo this project stalled.
However it is one of my project ideas on the developer program so
hopefully one day any program will be able to use the hardware scaler of
the CPU.
(Of course the documentation does not mention if the scaler is faster or
not, or does it trash the cache as software copying so it must be
measured...)

Jim!
Could you be a bit more specific than "Profiling is in order." please?
What is currently happening and will it make moot my efforts? Thanks!