Hemant,

I have some experience using speech-dispatcher and it seems to me that the XO
really doesn't need to run speech-dispatcher any differently than any other
computer does (other than getting rid of unnecessary dependencies of course).
My understanding of what you want to do is that you want your contro,l panel to
change the default settings in speechd.conf and restart speech-dispatcher so
that all Activities that use speech will have these new default values to work
with.

To my mind doing this (if I understand you correctly) is like burning down your
house to cook a pig.  Speech-dispatcher lets you override pretty much anything
in speechd.conf.  Since that is true, isn't the real problem how to give Sugar
Activities a way to get these values set up for them using some data store
maintained by your control panel?  The data store doesn't have to be
speechd.conf.  It could be any file that can be updated by your control panel
and read by other Activities.  The Sugar API could have a method that takes the
speechd client as a parameter and applies all the system-wide defaults that you
are maintaining to it.  After that the Activity could make changes on its own
and save the values as meta information or whatever.

So basically in my proposal speech-dispatcher starts up the normal way with
whatever default values are set.  Your control panel maintains its own values
in a datastore that the Sugar API can read.  Activities use the Sugar API to
set speech to these values, or they would use meta information to store their
own values and use those values to initialize the SD client.  An Activity
*could* just use whatever defaults were in speechd.conf, but that would be
considered bad form.

In any case, speechd does not have to run with dangerous permissions and Sugar
Activities should get the benefit of your control panel with minimal work.

James Simmons