Martin Langhoff wrote:
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Daniel Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
unionfs will involve a kernel change.

Erik's got a ko to add to the initrd AIUI.

Have we considered sorting by date and removing from oldest to new until
the threshold is reached? Perhaps excluding starred items.

Both date and size are flawed -- Greg and Cjb have explored the flaws
of both approaches on [EMAIL PROTECTED] The best notes on this are from Mitch so
far - he looked at the FSs and spotted things we can safely delete.
And we cannot query for starred items without starting the journal,
which does not start in no-space conditions.

IMHO, Cjb's script should delete caches and the files various files we
know are safe to nuke _before_ we even consider user data

The big-ticket item is the contents of ~/.sugar/data . According to Tomeu in the attached message, those files are leaks and could be deleted on boot without further ado.

In the images that I analyzed, those files represented 50% or more of the size of /home, ranging from ~500 to ~800 MB. As a "quick fix", just deleting those leak files on every boot would probably reduce the incidence of NAND-full reboot failures by two orders of magnitude, which should be enough to downgrade the problem from "critical" to
"minor annoyance".

Ironically, the presence of that leak (which Tomeu claims is fixed in Update.1) may inoculate the system against NAND fillup from other causes, by "reserving" space that
can be reclaimed upon reboot.

That suggests a long-term safety strategy:

a) Determine how much free space is needed to ensure that the system can boot up to a level where filesystem cleanup and maintenance can be performed. For example,
let's say the magic amount is 50 MB.

b) Add a 50 MB space-holder file to the filesystem on the first boot (or as part of the initial image). Fill it with incompressible data so it actually occupies the full space.

c) On each boot, if there is less than 50 MB free, delete the space-holder file to free up space, and boot in maintenance mode so the user or a helper can clean up. Continue booting in maintenance mode until the free space has increased above some threshold.
After the cleanup, recreate a space-holder file.

Of course, it is still important to automate as much cleanup as can safely be performed without user intervention, but the space-holder approach is still a good "backstop" to
avoid trips to a repair center.

 - Mitch has identified stray CVS directories. These are safe to nuke.
 - /var/cache/yum
 - ~/.sugar/default/logs
 - ~/.sugar/default/gecko/Cache
 - Someone mentioned large support files in eToys.

Might be worthwhile to nuke large Activities in ~/Activities.

If not enough space is available, then it makes sense to nuke user data.

cheers,

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

the files in .sugar/default/data are leaks that were fixed in Update.1:

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5637

That should reduce flash usage a lot, but I guess we need to continue
anyway with our plans to deal with full file systems.

Should we tell Uruguay to delete the files in that dir after every boot?

Thanks,

Tomeu