On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 09:38:35PM +1200, Stan. SWAN wrote:
> The need arises after being asked to post my recent findings on
> charging a OLPC with a new release 10W CIS PV. Tests were made in the
> New Zealand winter (which is mostly very sunny with extremely clear
> air) ,& although the CIS PV worked wonderfully- especially off angle
> &under overcast skies (when it outperformed a 20W polyX PV)

... okay, but how does it perform some years later?

> - initial
> results indicate 10W PVs are marginal for OLPC/XO.
>
> Check pix => www.manuka.orconhosting.net.nz/cisxo1.jpg & =>

In this configuration what was the current from the panel to the
battery?

> www.manuka.orconhosting.net.nz/cisxo2.jpg

Yes, 10V seems a bit low.  But that's the charge controller on the panel
declining to proceed until it believes the battery is at bulk charge
voltage.  The integrated charge controller on the MP4552 is intended for
charging VRLA (SLA) batteries, and the XO (a) doesn't have that
chemistry, and (b) has it's own charge controller.  I would not expect
it to work.

--
James Cameron    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://quozl.netrek.org/