From: "David Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: August 11, 2008 11:35:43 AM EDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: "Cynthia Solomon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tux Type on the XO

Hello Cynthia and Seth,

Over the weekend I installed all the needed tools and libs with yum, and successfully built and installed our current, unmodified release ofTtuxtype on the XO. It runs just like on any other platform, except that it can't get a 640x480 fullscreen, so it runs in a 640x480 box centered in the normal-resolution screen.

So - I'm ready to start modifying Tuxtype itself. I have a few questions regarding what you would like to see:

1. Are the lib requirements a problem? Tuxtype uses SDL, SDL_mixer, SDL_image, SDL_ttf, and SDL_Pango (which depends on some other libs). All of these were easily installed with yum, but they do take up some space. fwiw, they are a subset of the libs needed for Tuxpaint, so if Tuxpaint is being considered as a standard app, it will bring in everything Tuxtype needs (the same is true for Tuxmath, btw).

2. Regarding Tuxtype itself, what needs to be improved to get it to meet the needs of OLPC? My own sense is that there are two obvious issues to be addressed.

First, Tuxtype needs to use fullscreen at the machine's normal resolution - the 640x480 box is just too small on the XO's small monitor. This is something we have been meaning to address anyway, and we have done so already for Tuxmath, so the issues are known.

Second, we need to use standard GNU gettext for i18n. Currently, Tuxtype supports i18n via language-specific "themes" with its own home-brewed gettext. It does not use the standard locales mechanism. The player selects the language to use within the program. This is also something that has been "on the agenda" for some time.

Neither of these issues is exactly trivial, but they aren't prohibative, either.

3. Am I supposed to be "sugarizing" Tuxtype in some way? For now, I just launch it from the command line (which also requires adding / usr/local/bin to $PATH, unless there is some other location where programs are supposed to be installed).

Regards,

David Bruce