FWIW.  I have had a number of high school teacher and university
instructors ask about using the xo as a language learning appliance.  The
two reoccurring themes have been:XO as a portable language lab.Ability to
develop a language learning activity which could tailor itself to the needs of
an individual learner. thanksdavid
On  10/28/2008, 20:04, Gary C Martin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:On 28 Oct 2008,
at 23:46, Chris Ball wrote:  sugarGreaterThan Hi, sugarGreaterThan
sugarGreaterThan I'm learning Spanish at the moment, and I wish the XO made
it easier sugarGreaterThan for me.  I don't have any knowledge of what the
right way to do either sugarGreaterThan conventional or constructionist
language learning on computers is; if sugarGreaterThan anyone has much
experience with either, I'd love to hear about it. sugarGreaterThan
sugarGreaterThan I have some obvious candidates for software that could be
produced in sugarGreaterThan mind: sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan   * A
method -- similar to Scott's recent GtkLabel overlay for   sugarGreaterThan
allowing sugarGreaterThan     strings inside Sugar and activities to be
translated -- that   sugarGreaterThan does a sugarGreaterThan     dictionary
lookup of a word on the screen and overlays the sugarGreaterThan
translation of that word
into a local language.  This should be sugarGreaterThan     activity-agnostic,
if possible.  For bonus points, translate sugarGreaterThan     phrases instead
of just words. sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan   * Perhaps some kind of
Pronunciation Activity that gives you words sugarGreaterThan     in the target
language, speaks them to you, explains what they sugarGreaterThan     mean in
your local language, and asks you to speak them back, sugarGreaterThan
perhaps grading your response?  (All but the last part is already
sugarGreaterThan     possible to do manually in the Words activity, but not in
a sugarGreaterThan     structured way.) sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan   *
Is there any free content that matches iconic images to words, sugarGreaterThan
    so that language vocabulary could be taught even without textual
sugarGreaterThan     translation to a local language? sugarGreaterThan
sugarGreaterThan Feel free to come up with questions/ideas around language
learning on
sugarGreaterThan the XO in general in this thread, and they'll make it into
the sugarGreaterThan conference talk.  Still being worked on by Urko, but
functioned quite well last time I   tested on an XO. I set it up with a bunch
of pathophysiology term   flash card type questions/answers:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Assimilate  sugarGreaterThan Thanks, sugarGreaterThan
sugarGreaterThan - Chris. sugarGreaterThan --  sugarGreaterThan Chris Ball
sugarGreaterThan Sugar mailing list sugarGreaterThan [EMAIL PROTECTED]
sugarGreaterThan http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/sugar