Here's a delicate scenario that I see:
Inevitably, when comparing the XOs running Sugar to those running
Windows for evaluation (this is happening *right now*) - MMSs (that
is, Microsoft&Ministries) will argue not only on GNU+Linux vs. Windows
technical merits, but also the GUI will come up as a possible fatal
comparison.
So techies will then install XFCE for comparison, perhaps they'll
request F10 for that...
Only XFCE is currently vanilla on the repositories and fancy
integration like volume and brightness, DPI, etc isnt well integrated
at all by default, as well as many useful separate widgets for
networking, battery status and so on.
Its funny: In this scenario, you can actually share more on windows
(via file sharing) than on linux (at least with the gui).
So here's an idea Homunq gave us yesterday:
This is the perfect project for a G1G1 hacker. Probably one already
did it. Lets challenge them, via OLPCNews, to release "pimp up xfce on
F9" procedures (maybe even scripts and themepacks) - so that it is as
simple and as trouble free to install a working, beautiful, lean and
mean XFCE4 on the NAND that we can proudly compare with sluggish
windows on the SD.
Please could we request this to wayan and spread it?

2008/12/5 Mikus Grinbergs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Carlos wrote (regarding Sugar on an XO):
>>
>> Apps need to be sugarized.
>
> This is true when Sugar is the primary interface of the target user
> population.  But the "Subject" of this topic is XFCE.  I am going to
> make the assumption that an user sophisticated enough to use XFCE
> will be sophisticated enough not to need the simplified GUI that
> sugarization provides.
>
> I myself have had reasonable success installing Linux applications
> on my XO, then launching them from the command line.  [And launching
> from Terminal bypasses Rainbow's restrictions on applications.]
>
> I keep wondering, considering Moore's Law and the availability of
> netbooks, why shoehorn specifically Sugar (and the XO) into
> competing for the "traditional_Linux_interface" laptop role ?
>
> mikus

Sebastian Silva
Iniciativa FuenteLibre
http://blog.sebastiansilva.com/