michael wrote:
 > David -- why quibble over ohm when you've got NM and HAL to worry about?
 >
 > Paul -- why are the /sys nodes only writable by root?

discounting, possible denial-of-brightness attacks by malicious
screen hackers, no particularly good reason that i know of.
well, other than ensuring that ohmd is, indeed, used to broker changes
to those values.  on the other hand, i'm not sure whether there's
a precedent for opening up permissions under /sys -- i find no
non-root-writeable nodes on any of 4 machines i just tried.

paul