On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Carlos Nazareno <object...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > AMD sees no Geode chip replacement in sight
> > AMD on Monday said it has no replacement for the aging Geode low-power
> > chips that are used in netbooks and set-top boxes.
> > http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/274414/amd_sees_no_geode_chip_replacement_sight

The cost of developing and supporting a processor family is staggering.

AMD bought the Geode business from another company.  Often, when a company buys
a business unit, that unit withers on the vine.  The "new kids on the block"
have a difficult time establishing a strong place within the established
"pecking order", so in the competition for resources, the new group often comes
up short.  When there is an economic downturn, the new group is often the first
to go.

AMD barely has the resources to maintain a competitive stance in the part of
the market that has traditionally been their core, especially now that the
economy is bad.

I'm sure that AMD would be very happy if they had enough money to go after the
low power market, but they just don't.