at the OS level the brightness and volume keys are just the standard F9-F12 keys

if you look at the 'keyboard shortcuts' page on the wiki they are even documented that way (or at least I think they were at one point)

it's Sugar that decides to monkey with the brightness and volume when those keys are pressed.

the other distros setup the mapping using the specific tools for that desktop. but they all boil down to setting up something to look for those keys and then running the appropriate script.

David Lang