On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> The sugar "distro" is basically Fedora, with a few modifications for
>>> things like the security that OLPC uses. Sugar is actually the GUI
>>> that sits on top of the distro.
>>
>> yes, but those modifications are significant. I know that Sugar is the name
>> of the GUI, but there are still things that don't work in any other
>> environment (not as many as there used to be, and they are being addressed),
>> and I don't know of a better name to use for the whole set.
>
> The major changes AFAIA are rainbow for security. Most of the rest of
> the changes to fedora are to reduce dependencies now and a few other
> minor bits that are actively being upstreamed. So what sort of things
> don't work in any other environment?

as I said, it's a ever shrinking list, but last I heard the security
changes cascaded to other issues, and there were journal related issues.

in broad strokes things worked, but not completely.

it may be that when I wasn't looking the last of the issues got resolved.
If this is the case then it should be possible (on a high enough power
laptop) to get an experiance exactly the same as on the XO with Sugar on
top of Fedora

Is this the case?