martin and i just had a short exchange off-list that we realized
should probably be moved on-list.  here's an edited transcript:

> [...]

 >      and periodically polls (15 second interval) AC and battery status.
 >
 >     powerd:  it's a big shell loop that watches events that
 >      arrive via a fifo, and acts on them to manage the idle
 >      timeouts, watch battery level, etc.  perhaps not useful
 >      for the XS is that it uses rtcwake to allow a sleeping laptop
 >      to wake up in order to either turn off its own display, or to
 >      shutdown completely.
 >
 >  >  - what's the mem footprint?
 >
 > i don't think the VSZ/RSS numbers are very useful in this case,
 > since the shell is probably always resident.  if i stop powerd,
 > "free" tells me i get 350K back.  that seems to be reproducible.
 > same metric with olpc-switchd says roughly 100K.  it's harder to
 > quickly get isolated numbers from olpc-kbdshim because it's
 > started/stopped by hald, but i'd guess it's similar to
 > olpc-switchd.  so call it all 600K, certainly less than 1M, in
 > total.
 >
 >  >  - how can we minimise it?
 >
 > the olpc-switchd functionality could be pulled into olpc-kbdshim.  powerd
 > could be rewritten in C (which wouldn't be hard, now that its been
 > prototyped -- just a bit time consuming).
 >
 > also, i was careful not to write bash-specific code -- i
 > _believe_ powerd will run under dash, for instance.  perhaps not
 > advantageous if bash is already resident, but maybe.
 >
 >  >  - how can we make sure it's safe to swap the process out if no
 >  > relevant events are triggered?
 >
 > this sounds like you're doing the swapping manually somehow.  otherwise,
 > i'm not sure i understand why it wouldn't swap in when needed?
 >
 >  >  - can we turn powerd into logic that gets triggered by kernel events
 >  > (udev, etc) instead of a resident daemon?
 >
 > well, that's sort of what it is now, at some level.
 >
 >  > [ Those are the same nasty questions I ask about every bit of sw on
 >  > the XS. It's a tricky space... ]

 > To:      p...@laptop.org
 > From:    Martin Langhoff <martin.langh...@gmail.com>
 > Subject: Re: Bxl testing report - April 16th
 >
 > On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM,  <p...@laptop.org> wrote:
 > > martin wrote:
 > >  > Great idea, thanks for the offer! Remain awake when shut is desirable
 > >  > (but was getting that... because I don't have ohmd :-) ) -- and
 > >  > shutdown when on low battery is something I really need (so I'll need
 > >  > power handling).
 > >  >
 > >  > Powerd is written in Python? Some of the questions I'll come asking is:
 > >
 > > actually, no -- it's in shell, with two helper daemons in C.  (i pre-date
 > > python.  ;-)
 >
 > that's great! Then my concerns of multi-meg mem footprint are
 > unfounded. I shall shut up. Should we repost the tech discussion so
 > far to de...@?
 >
 > > i don't think the VSZ/RSS numbers are very useful in this case,
 > > since the shell is probably always resident.  if i stop it,
 >
 > Good point. I've found ps_mem.py to be an excellent tool for this...

thanks for the pointer!

 > > this sounds like you're doing the swapping manually somehow.  otherwise,
 > > i'm not sure i understand why it wouldn't swap in when needed?
 >
 > Ah, much simpler than that ;-) Was wondering if any of the code does
 > polling or wants frequent wakeups (as opposed to waiting for
 > events/signals) that would prevent them from getting swapped out...

nothing annoys me more (well, i guess that's probably an
exaggeration :-) than doing an strace to debug or investigate
some process and seeing it sitting there calling gettimeofday()
once a second.  so the only polling being done is in olpc-switchd,
where it checks the battery level and external power state once
every 15 seconds -- those pieces of information aren't available
as events.  (and of course it only reports the results to powerd
if they've changed.) ironically, battery and AC state _are_
available as wakeup events when we're asleep -- but not when
we're awake.

paul