On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Mitch Bradley wrote:

> da...@lang.hm wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Mitch Bradley wrote:
>>
>>> Another important advantage to partitions is that the existence of a boot
>>> partition isolates the firmware from changes in the filesystem used for
>>> the root.
>>
>> can you explain this a bit more?
>
> A conventional BIOS boots by reading a small chunk of 16-bit real-mode code
> from the Master Boot Record, which then does something magic, often involving
> chaining to some other chunk of code that is shoehorned into some location
> that is difficult to inspect (e.g. some reserved sectors near the beginning
> of a partition).

I'll point out that lilo allows it to boot from stuff anywhere in the
filesystem, and does not have to understand the specific filesystem at
boot time.

there are cases where it doesn't work well, but in the limited case of the
XO laptops I think it would work well (and avoid the complexity you
describe below)

Davi dLang