On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Paul Fox-2 [via OLPC]
<ml-node+4127361-1315716...@n2.nabble.com> wrote:
> milan wrote:
>  >
>  > On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Martin Langhoff
>  > <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > With these changes, the touchpads should move a little bit slower,
>  > > have a bit more precision, and be a lot less 'jumpy'. In fact, when
>  > > they data gets jumpy, the driver ignores the data instead of jumping
>  > > wildly.
>  > >
>  > > Is the kangaroo mode gone? Is it more usable now? Are other effects
>  > > creeping in?
>  >
>  > I have ALPS touchpad.
>  >
>  > The mouse movement is perhaps a bit less jumpy then in old 802, but
>  > overall not very useable. There are times when it's ok (just slower
>  > then on the default 802 version), but there are times when it stops
>  > almost completely to respond to moving finger. Sometimes it has to be
>  > nudged 10 times to move the width or height of the screen. I cannot
>  > really tell why it is ok and why it starts behave like that. It comes
>  > and goes. Several times it moved slowly by itself. In a way it appears
>  > better when I do a continuos line draw (like when drawing spirals),
>  > but when using it in an application (does not seem to matter which
>  > app), and move the mouse quite a bit, it starts exhibit the "no
>  > respond" behavior.
>
> as with the old touchpad driver, the best thing to do when the
> touchpad is behaving badly is to remove your finger from it for a
> few seconds.  it will usually detect the condition, and
> recalibrate.  the tricky part is that if your finger is still on
> or very near the touchpad while the recalibration occurs, the
> problem probably won't get better, and may get worse.
>
> it's very frustrating that the laptops have such a crippled input
> device.  all we can do in the driver is try and notice when things
> "go bad", and make teh best of it, but we can't _prevent_ them
> from going bad.

yes i understand the hardware device is, well, quite bad...

>
> thanks very much for your testing.
>
>  >
>  > >
>  > > Comparison test drawing spirals:
>  > >
>  > >  - Grab 2 XOs with the same touchpad type, load the old stable 802 on
>  > > one, and my test build (802B1) on the other. If you only have one XO,
>  > > try one OS after the other...
>  > >
>  > >  - Open Paint and draw spirals
>  > >
>  > >    1) try to keep it reasonably tight
>  > >    2) stop if you collide or get sloppy
>  > >    3) count the number of cycles
>  > >    4) try again N times
>  > >    5) use the average cycles as a measure
>  >
>  > well, I only have one XO 1 and did not go back to old 802. With 802b1,
>  > I typically managed to do about 5 spiral cycles before it drew into
>  > the previous line. But after changing brush size I got a completely
>  > unpredictable behavior (non-responding or jumpy)
>  >
>  > I can also tell that the right part of the pad is much less sensitive
>  > (going up and down on the right does not move the mouse), this seems a
>  > hardware issue i wonder what others see.
>
> when you say "right part of the pad", i assume your finger is still in
> the middle section, and not all the way into the right section.

yes, still in the middle section. the righmost 1/2cm of the middle
section basically does not respond at all. I assume this is hardware,
however, I will go back to old 802 and double check and report back if
it behaves differently. . I have not noticed it explicitly before, but
when I think about it, finger drawing large circles was always funny.

> the right
> and left sections will definitely not respond.  if your finger is just
> at the righthand edge of the middle section, then your touchpad may truly
> be faulty.  you can run a diagnostic:  hold the "Check" gamepad key while
> booting, and then hit ESC  to get an "ok" prompt.  then type "test /mouse".

yes, thanks. I am pretty sure I ran test way in the past, and it was
OK, but will try again.

milan

>
> paul
> =---------------------
>  paul fox, [hidden email]
> _______________________________________________
> Devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
>
>
> ________________________________
> View message @
> http://n2.nabble.com/8-2-2-Beta-1-test-request-tp4112256p4127361.html
> To unsubscribe from Re: 8.2.2 Beta-1 test request, click here.
>

-- 
View this message in context: 
http://n2.nabble.com/8-2-2-Beta-1-test-request-tp4112256p4127517.html
Sent from the Software development mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
Devel@lists.laptop.org
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel

Reply via email to