On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM, John Gilmore <g...@toad.com> wrote:
>> > One disadvantage of doing this is that it would harm the use of
>> > olpc-update -- pristine updates would fail. And also the software
>> > would be silently lost when an olpc-update happens, which is now
>
> Good thing we reinvented the wheel here.  RPM packaging was too
> complete and flexible for kids or teachers (or school administrators).
> They're so much better off NOT being able to install any of 5,000
> packages freely contributed by talented programmers all over the
> world.

Slightly off topic, but reading between the lines, it seems there is
something more fundamentally broken here. 5000 packages. The Apple app
store adds that many new "apps" every week it seems. Why aren't there
5 million packages available instead of just 5000? What are we doing
wrong as a community? I have lots of theories but would be curious if
anyone had any concrete ideas. (Or maybe 5000 packages is better than
100000 apps and all is well in the world?)

-walter

>        John  :-(

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs