G'day Alastair,

Thanks for responding.  I'd like to drill down further into the facts
just to make sure we're not missing anything.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 09:19:19AM +1300, Alastair Munro wrote:
> We did not disable suspend before testing, all these observations were
> made on a fresh boot while plugged into AC power with no suspending.

You did not disable suspend, yet there was no suspending at all?  That's
surprising.  The design since about build os49 is that dim screen with
begin at about 15 seconds and suspend will begin at about 25 seconds of
idle.  The suspend doesn't turn off the screen, so you might not notice
it.  The power LED begins to blink at about a five second rate.

Can you confirm that you keep the keyboard and touchpad active, and
never idle for more than 30 seconds?  It is very hard to do that,
especially with other people interrupting.

> The wireless just didn't seem to activate at all. When checking
> 'ifconfig -a' the only device shown was the local loopback device
> 'lo'.

This is quite consistent with not knowing that an automatic idle suspend
has happened.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/