> So, I guess you don't install any software that you download and run, like
> Firefox or OpenOffice.org or Google Earth?

I've installed and am running applications such as Firefox 3.6.3 (plus
Flash 10.1), Google Chrome 5.0.342.9, Adobe Reader 9.3.1, mplayer,
FBReader, etc. -- because I trust the organizations that made these
applications available.  Haven't installed OpenOffice - *why* would I
want to run it on the XO ?  Tried to install Google Earth once (to see
if I could) - the installation process ran out of some kind of resource,
and I was not interested enough to fix whatver the difficulty was.

> The point about AIR is
> that it lets the developer use the same tools to develop rich Internet
> applications and desktop applications with attractive "rich" user
> interfaces.

O.K.  My point is that I am not the target for that developer - I have
little interest in acquiring his application, no matter how rich it is.
[I look for function, not for attractive interfaces.]  And if I get an
opportunity to mentor a newbie, I will try to convey what kind of things
I think he should pay the most attention to.

mikus