On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 05:26, James Cameron <qu...@laptop.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 08:04:25PM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> I am curious -- what is the frequency of "presence broadcasts" when
>> Salut is used? Where is it set?
>
> Three minutes.  Perhaps KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT in
> gibber-r-multicast-causal-transport.c

So Salut is an implementation of XEP-0174: Serverless Messaging:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html

In this section of the document is an overview of the different
components used by this protocol:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html#howitworks

As you can see, basic presence is done with multicast DNS/DNS-SD and
Salut uses Avahi for that.

Gibber is a library internal to Salut that implements the other part
of the protocol: XMPP message passing between nodes.

With that in mind, what I would do next is to try to isolate the
problems within either Avahi or Gibber, that will reduce significantly
the amount of code we need to care about and will be useful in further
debugging and tuning. avahi-browse and avahi-discover are useful tools
for monitoring the state of Avahi, so if you could reproduce the same
issues there, then we could rule out a big chunk of code.

If that's the case, then these two functions in Salut would be most
relevant, the first announces a DNS service for the buddy and the
other does the same for shared activities:

http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-salut.git;a=blob;f=src/salut-avahi-self.c;h=dab2c78247c84bfba7b693251e6ac3703648eb13;hb=HEAD#l220

http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-salut.git;a=blob;f=src/salut-avahi-olpc-activity.c;h=2a3681aca7568d1c8bf4ce97b161f79c11ef6165;hb=HEAD#l157

Assuming the problem is in the Avahi level, we should make sure that
the system is coming out from suspend when the radio receives
multicast activity directed to us so Avahi can properly update its
internal state and also for activities using clique (multi-user chat
rooms on server-less XMPP). A couple more of references:

http://files.multicastdns.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns.txt
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Clique

With Gabble we should see similar effects if the machine is not
resuming when the Jabber server sends us updates.

Regards,

Tomeu