On Feb 4, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> while investing why an XO-1 wouldn't charge I discovered that the 2A fuse
> near the power plug seems to have been blown and was "fixed" by someone
> simply soldering over it (see the attached photo).

Wow, first we've seen outside of torture tests!  That fuse should only blow if
someone tried to
power the laptop with greater than +/-40V.

> Now I'm wondering whether there's anything to be done about that or if that's
> something that essentially can't be fixed in the field?

Solder down another small 2A fast blow fuse (3A for XO-1.5 or later).

If a repair center found a blown fuse, I would also recommend checking the
protective diodes
D118 and D123.

Cheers,
wad